Extensive requirements are set for constituent materials and chemicals – and the circular economy is promoted through demanding warranty and the possibility for recycling of materials.
The product group includes outdoor furniture, equipment for play and sports as well as park equipment. Among other things tables, chairs, benches, climbing frames, swings, playhouses, sandboxes, and slides for playgrounds, permanently installed fitness and parkour equipment – and fences, trellis, waste containers, flagpoles, bicycle racks and sheds.
It is also possible to certify specific construction products, toys, and indoor furniture with the Nordic Swan Ecolabel – however, this is done according to other criteria. It is not possible to certify outdoor furniture with textile or padding, fall surfaces, artificial lawns, bathing jetties and terraces.
The requirements include:
- Use of wood from sustainably managed forests, i.e., requirements for traceability and a minimum of 70% certified wood raw materials.
- Use of a high proportion of recycled plastic or plastic from renewable raw materials as well as a high proportion of recycled metal or metal made with lower climate footprints.
- Environmental and health properties of chemicals used in various stages of production. Among other things, strict requirements for the use of substances that are carcinogenic, toxic to reproduction and can damage genetic material, as well as bans on halogenated flame retardants, fluorides, and nanoparticles.
- Limits for content and emissions of formaldehyde in relevant chemicals and materials such as adhesives, and wood-based panels.
- Limits for VOC in surface treatments.
- Requirements for durability of wood.
- Warranty, availability of spare parts, and circular design.
For sub suppliers
The Supply Chain Declaration Portal is where suppliers can help their customers to obtain the Nordic Swan Ecolabel by declaring the properties of their items, for example chemicals, raw materials, and other products.
What does it cost?
When you apply for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, you must pay a fee. Additionally, when you have a certification, you must pay an annual licence fee based on the turnover of the certified product or service.
Please visit our Nordic website to see the specific fees. You will find them at the bottom of the page for the relevant product group under the fees» tab. You can find all product groups here.