There are strict requirements for raw materials and chemicals used in the production of Nordic Swan Ecolabelled disposables focusing on environmental and health aspects. Requirements help to promote increased recycling, reduce product environmental impact, contribute to reduced use of fossil raw materials and avoid biodiversity loss.
Disposables for food encompasses take-away packaging such as coffee mugs and pizza boxes, containers and paper for wrapped food, disposables such as mugs, glasses, plates, cutlery and straws, bags and films for packaging food such as bread bags, freezer bags, fruit and vegetables, coffee and tea filters, toothpicks, cocktail sticks and mixing sticks.
The requirements include:
- A high proportion of renewable material or recycled plastic.
- Prohibition of fluorine compounds, phthalates, bisphenol A, flavours, perfumes and PVC.
- Environmental and health properties of adhesives and dyes.
- Marking with sorting symbol / text.
- The wood products must be determined and certified.
- Prohibition of recycled paper, paperboard and cardboard.
What does it cost?
When you apply for the Nordic Swan Ecolabel, you must pay a fee. Additionally, when you have a certification, you must pay an annual licence fee based on the turnover of the certified product or service.
Please visit our Nordic website to see the specific fees. You will find them at the bottom of the page for the relevant product group under the fees» tab. You can find all product groups here.